Introduction – Burning Feet
Burning feet can keep people awake at night. It is a common complaint. It affects people mostly above 50 years of age, but even the young face the roblem. It can be mild, but at times serious as well requiring further investigation. It is more common among diabetics ( loss of feeling in the feet). It can occur in different types of people for different reasons.
Causes of Burning Feet
- Dampness, coupled with friction, leads to the sensation of burning, so its important to buy shoes that let perspiration evaporate. One must wear shoes on alternate days, so they get a chance to dry up.
- Inappropriate socks. Cotton socks should be preferred to synthetic fabrics.
- Athletes foot can at times spread to cause burning sensation on the sole of the foot
- Allergic reaction to shoe material or socks.
- Alcohol also causes burning feet. Long term use can affect the nervous activity of the feet.
- Diabetes causes a polyneuropathy
- Smoking causes inflammation
- Neuroma. A trapped nerve can lead to a hot burning sensation. (Tight shoes)
- Gout can cause a burning sensation on the side of the foot, treatment is by reducing inflammation.
- Hot sweaty feet due to fatigue
- Thyroid problems
- Gastric restriction on obese people
- Vitamin deficiencies
- Mechanical causes such as Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome (entrapment of the nerve)
- Irritating fabrics
- Blood disorders
- Kidney failure
- Liver damage
Treatment of Burning Feet
- Purchase of shoes and socks that have adequate ventilation.
- Athletes foot needs to be treated
- Reduce alcohol and smoking consumption.
- Herbal products that increase the circulation may help.
- Do not leave ice packs on your feet. This can lead to other foot conditions.
In mechanical cases such as tarsal tunnel syndrome, conservative treatment with arch supports and wider shoes may successfully relieve discomfort. If burning feet is due to flat feet, orthotics may help restore the foot’s arch.
- Purchase of socks made of cotton and wool (natural fiber) and shoes made of leather
- A good cooling foot cream
- Cushioning insoles
- Bathe feet in cool water for instant relief
It is important to make sure that burning problem is not caused by the rare serious problems. Also one should ascertain the causes and get it treated accordingly.