What is Foot Odor?
Foot odor is caused by excessive perspiration in the feet which can soak socks and shoes. Bacteria which thrive due to perspiration can cause the bad odor. Foot odor is also called bromhidrosis. In this article we reveal the symptoms, causes and effective home remedies for this condition.
Symptoms of Foot Odor
Smelly and sweaty feet and shoes
Causes of Foot Odor
- As mentioned earlier, bacteria in the feet cause foot odor.
- Usually, people who wear non-leather or synthetic boots, badly ventilated shoes or nylon and polyester socks invite this condition.
How to Prevent Foot Odor
- Ensure your feet are dry and footwear well-ventilated
- Give time for your socks and shoes to dry thoroughly before you wear them again
- Wear cotton socks as these absorb perspiration better
- You can use powder or a spray inside your shoes to dry them
- Practice good foot hygiene by washing and drying your feet regularly
Home Remedies for Foot Odor
- As mentioned earlier, wash and dry your feet thoroughly after you reach home and take out your feet from shoes and socks.
- Soak your feet in saline water and then dry them out. This is advised because salt can make the skin dry.
- You can use your underarm antiperspirant or deodorant on the feet too. They can help to eliminate bad odor.
- Try to wear sandals more often as they are well-ventilated and help sweat to evaporate, which gets rid of the bacteria that cause odor.
- Wash footwear like sneakers and air-dry them afterwards.
- Sprinkle cornstarch inside your shoes to absorb moisture and keep your feet dry.
- Learn to keep negative emotions like anxiety, tension and stress at bay by practicing some relaxation techniques. This is advised because anxiety and stress lead to increased sweat production and more foot odor.
Foot odor is an embarrassing condition which can make you cringe every time you remove your feet from sweaty socks and shoes. Follow the tips given above to prevent this condition in the first place. But if you fall victim, try out our home remedies before you use medications, as natural remedies have little or no side effects.
Resources: 1. http://www.drscholls.com/drscholls/conditions/foot-odor-and-perspiration-foot.jspa#tab-link1
For more information on how to treat foot odor, please watch this video: