Burning Feet at Night
Burning feet or Erythromelalgia or Grierson ““ Gopalan syndrome is the condition which is caused due to some circulatory disorder. It is the condition in which sudden sensations of redness and burning are there. Most of the times the condition is mild but there are times when the conditions becomes very serious and requires immediate medical attention. This condition is noticed mostly in older especially those who are above 50 years of age but people of younger age groups could also be affected from this condition.
If the condition of burning feet is severe then the feet will be swollen and it will be hot to touch. The sensation of burning is limited to the sole of feet but in some cases it could affect the ankles and the lower legs too. In very rare case only the sensation of needles and pin is felt in the lower extremities of the body.
Causes of Burning Feet at Night:
Some of the causes of burning feet at night are:
- The people who suffer from diabetes also develop the condition of peripheral neuropathy or nerve damage. The presence of this condition results in burning feet at night.
- The presence of the condition of nerve damage also results in several other conditions like vitamin deficiencies and heavy metal poisoning.
- Excessive weight of the body also results in this condition if an overweight person tends to stand on his feet for long time then it could result in the development of this condition.
- The presence of some fungal infection could result in this condition.
- The presence of the condition of reflex sympathetic dystrophy will also result in this condition.
- The presence of the condition of Metatarsalgia, tarsal tunnel syndrome and morton’s neuroma will result in the development of this condition.
- Sometimes the condition of burning feet can be due to the presence of some sensitivity or allergy which is caused due to some food. For example wearing of synthetic socks can result in burning feet in some people.
Symptoms of Burning Feet at Night:
Some of the symptoms of burning feet sensation include:
- Feeling of burning will be felt in the feet of the patient along with sharp pain and redness. Most of the times, the sensation of burning will occur suddenly, while other symptoms will develop gradually.
- By localizing the ailment the exact cause and nature of the ailment can be determined. For example, if the sensation of burning is in the forefoot so this can be due to the presence of the condition of Morton’s neuroma or metatarsalgia.
Treatment of Burning Feet at Night:
Some of the treatment methods of burning feet at night are:
- The first foremost step for treating this condition is to wear comfortable shoes which open from all sides.
- Make sure that the shoes you wear are capable of providing adequate support to the arches of the feet.
- Wear cotton socks which are helpful in treating this condition.
- Feet can be soaked in cold water for nearly 15 minutes to provide relief from burning sensation, at the same time it is advisable to prevent your feet from exposing to heat.
- The problem of burning feet can be caused due to the deficiency of vitamins then it is advisable to include some vitamin supplement in your diet, this will bring about some relief from the condition.
- Some cooling ointments are available which can be applied to provide the cooling sensation to the feet.
- Application of magnetic therapy can also be a good way of treating the condition of burning feet.
- Some regular activities which can be performed to get the instant relief include walking on the cold floor, raising of the legs on an elevated position, resting for long hours and relaxing and application of cooling lotions will bring about some relief from the condition of burning feet at night.
- Case the problem of burning feet is due to the presence of some problem either in nervous system or in circulatory system, polyneuropathy, liver problems, higher levels of blood pressure or blood sugar or some Vitamin deficiency, then it is advisable to treat the underlying cause first which will automatically treat the condition of burning feet too.
- In case the condition of burning feet is caused due to some vitamin deficiency then it is advisable to take in food rich in vitamin like whole grains, brown rice, nutritional yeast, peanuts, raw wheat germ and different types of green and yellow vegetables along with dairy products including butter and milk.
- In order to enhance the circulatory system of the body it is advisable to take in fiber in sufficient amount in the form of nuts, seeds whole grains etc.
Supplements and Herbs For Burning Feet at Night:
Some of the supplements and herbs which can be used for treating the condition of burning feet at night are:
- This condition can be caused due to the deficiency of Vitamin B6 or pantothenic acid so in order to prevent fulfill the required amount it is advisable to take in supplements of Vitamin B complex which contains the entire range of B vitamins must be taken in sufficient amount to effectiveness.
- Similarly the intake of Vitamin C and Vitamin E is also advisable. This is because intake of Vitamin E will enhance the intake of oxygen in the blood thus improving the circulatory system of the body. The intake of Vitamin C will remove toxic substances, accumulated in the body. Thus, contributing in intensifying the symptoms of the burning feet.
- Intake of hawthorn herb regularly helps in dilating the blood vessels in the body. This herb can be taken in the form of herbal juice, 20 -25 drops can be mixed in water and taken in regularly. Intake of this herb for three months will bring about a relief from the condition.