What Is Onycholysis In Toenails?
is the gradual separation of your toenail from the nail bed. Initially, this is a painless occurrence but as the lifted nail allows dirt and water to accumulate under it, the area can get infected. Thus, it becomes a painful condition. This problem is commonly faced by adults, especially women with long nails.
Signs and Symptoms
- The appearance of the nail lifting may look like a half-moon.
- Nails turns opaque due to loss of its coloration.
- The nails can also turn green or yellow.
Causes of Onycholysis
- Injury to the nail.
- Use of nail cosmetics or aggressive pedicures and manicures.
- Allergy to nail enhancement products.
- Medications such as chemotherapy and also the interaction of tetracycline with the sun can cause nail lifting.
- Skin conditions like psoriasis and eczema may lead to onycholysis.
- Over immersion of nails in water.
- Having systemic diseases like diabetes mellitus, syphilis and being anemic.
- The unattached nail can be cut off to prevent permanent nail deformation.
- You should take antibacterial or anti-fungal medicine prescribed by your doctor to treat bacterial and fungal infections.
- Keep your toenails dry as much as possible and always trim them.
- Use sunscreen cream to protect the nails from UV rays.
- Get treatment for the skin conditions that may cause onycholysis.
- In worsened situations, you can get intralesional injections.
It’s easier and cheaper to prevent any disease and this applies to
too. Do apply the remedial treatment in your life in order to prevent the condition from occurring.